The BC Geophysical Society is renewing our Industry Internship Program for 2023!
Many BSc students say their biggest challenges are connecting academics to professional life, and obtaining working experiences that will help them secure their first job after graduation.
To address these challenges, the BCGS Industry Internship program aims to help students who are interested in geophysics careers find summer or other early work placements in the natural resource or geotechnical sectors of Canada. We will help connect award winners with summer employment opportunities, and – when they have accepted an employment position – we will provide successful candidates with a one-time stipend to help cover costs of getting started in their new summer or short term job. In past years we have distributed between 1 and 5 internship awards, depending on number, quality and appropriateness of applicants.
Post-graduate students, recent graduates (<3 years) and undergraduates, from or currently residing in British Columbia.
- A succinct description of your interests in applied geophysics, presented in the application form and accompanying cover letter (shorter than one page);
- Academic or professional references;
- An academic record that demonstrates success at school and a commitment to geophysics.
- Students – First, apply for the BCGS Industry Internship Program. View this application form, download it (via the Google Docs “Files -> Download” menu), then complete the MS word file and return it to the BCGS before.
- BCGS – will share names with companies who have indicated they are interested in hiring summer students. Company contact information will be shared with applicants.
- Students – are to apply to companies they would like to work for and indicate in their application letters that they have applied for a BCGS Industry Internship award.
- BCGS – will review all submissions, and inform successful applicants that they are eligible for an award once they have a letter from their new employer confirming employment status.
- BCGS – will send the award funds to the successful candidates at that time.
- Application deadline: March 15, 2023
- Sharing of applicants and organizations who are interested in hiring during March.
- Notifications: Late March
- Awarded: Upon commencement of employment
For a list of past internship awardees, and comments reflecting their experiences, see our awardees page.