The BC Geophysical Society is renewing our Industry Internship Program for 2024!
Many BSc students find it challenging to connect academics to professional life, especially when it comes to finding that first working experiences that will help them secure their first job after graduation.
The BCGS Industry Internship program aims to help students find summer or other work placements in the geophysics sector. We will help connect you with summer employment opportunities, and – when you have accepted an employment position that will provide you with experiences in geophysical work – we may be able to provide a one-time stipend to help cover costs of getting started. In past years we have distributed between 1 and 5 internship awards, depending on number, quality and appropriateness of applicants.
Undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent graduates (<3 years) from or currently residing in British Columbia who can demonstrate an interest in working in field, office, or technical (eg programing) aspects of geophysics.
- A succinct description of your interests in applied geophysics, presented in the application form and accompanying cover letter (shorter than one page);
- Academic or professional references;
- An academic record that demonstrates success at school and (ideally) a commitment to geophysics.
Procedure – please read carefully and ask if you have questions:
- Students – First, apply for the BCGS Industry Internship Program. View this application form, download it (via the Google Docs “Files -> Download” menu), then complete the MS word file and follow instructions on the form to return it to the BCGS before the deadline.
(NOTE: If you have already found a geophysics job, include that information in the application form. You may still be eligible for support).
- BCGS – will share with you the names with companies who have indicated they are interested in hiring summer students.
- Students – are to apply to companies they would like to work for and indicate in their application letters that they have applied for a BCGS Industry Internship award.
- BCGS – will review all submissions, and inform successful applicants that they are eligible for an award once they have a letter from their new employer confirming employment status.
- BCGS – will send the award funds to the successful candidates at that time. Amounts for individuals will depend upon the number of awardees.
- Application deadline: March 17, 2024
- Sharing of applicants and organizations who are interested in hiring.
- Notifications: Late March
- Funding awarded: Upon commencement of employment
For a list of past internship awardees, and comments reflecting their experiences, see our awardees page.